Thursday, March 19, 2009
Manners
There was a segment on the Today show this morning about manners and children. Thanks to me Grandma I have always been a sticker about manners with my kids. I do give them a little leeway because they are kids and I can only handle so many "No"s in one day. Well, I have not been good about teaching my children to respect other adults but calling them Mr. or Mrs. or Brother and Sister. I do have them call them that if they are not close friends but if we our hanging out with them often they just call them by their first name. I know, I know this is a big no no. However, in my behalf I am not always comfortable with people calling me Sis. Smith or Mrs. Smith. So... I want to hear what you have to say on this matter. If you came over to my house what would my kids call you. Mr., Mrs, Brother, Sister, Aunt, Uncle, Ms. (and then your first name) etc... ?? What manners are most important to you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
We have some cute super heros figures for the fridge (I'll find the link and send to you) that relate to the manners which we focus on:
Please
Thank you
Excuse me
I'm sorry
Can I help (being kind/helpful)
Taking turns, letting others go first
By no means have we come close to mastering these, but this is what we discuss. I haven't delved into the greeting thing much myself yet. If I can get my kids to look someone in the eyes and even get out a hello we're doing pretty good.
I feel the exact same way about names. I don't like being called Mrs. or Sister...those are titles for older people, right? And that's how most of my friends feel too, so my kids just end up calling them by their first names. I definitely think it's important to show respect to adults too. So let me know if you figure something out!!!
i'm totally ok with the first name thing. but while living in Texas all the kids called the moms Ms. Carol, Ms. Bryn for example. I loved that, thought it was so cute. But when we moved to Vegas I tried to keep my kids doing that but nobody else did so it was hard to make it stick for long.
I'm all about the first name thing...I don't like being called Sister or Mrs. Makin. All the mom's I know feel the same way!
Post a Comment