Sunday, February 3, 2008

This week for dinner in my house.

When 4:00 rolls around I am completely brain dead as to what we are going to have for dinner. So I have been trying a lot harder to put together a menu so that I know ahead of time what we are going to have. This helps out with the grocery run too. I hate going nowadays and Joel laughs at me for the way I put of the grocery run until we are completely out of milk. So here is what I have come up with for this week.

Chicken Curry
3 Chicken breasts -boiled and cut up
1/2 cup mayo
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 tsp. curry powder
frozen broccoli
2-3 potatoes - cut up and boiled for about 10-15 minutes (just until tender)
salt and pepper to taste
Shredded cheese

In bowl stir soup, mayo, and curry powder. Add chicken, broccoli, and potatoes. Place in greased casserole dish and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.


Chicken and rice
2 1/2 c. raw rice
1 c. grated cheese
frozen chicken tenders
5 c. chicken broth
dry onion soup mix
1 can cream of chicken soup
more grated cheese

Spray 9 x 13 glass casserole dish with no stick cooking spray. Spread raw rice evenly over bottom of pan and sprinkle 1 c. of grated cheese over rice. Cover the rice with as many frozen chicken tenders as you can without overlapping. Sprinkle dry onion soup mix over chicken (about 1 packet Lipton brand or 1 scoop Bear Creek brand), then cover with cream of chicken soup. Pour broth over the top. Bake for 1 hour at 325 uncovered. Take from oven and sprinkle with enough grated cheese to cover the top. Cover the dish with foil and bake for another half hour. Add more chicken broth if casserole becomes dry.
(I have not tried this before.. it is from http://www.lovinfromtheoven.blogspot.com/)

Cottage cheese Lasagna
1 lb. hamburger
3/4 c. chopped onion
1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 Tbl. sugar
2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
2 cans diced tomatoes
1/2 c. water
12 oz. lasagna noodles (9 noodles for a 9 x 13 pan)
1 raw egg mixed into 2 c. cottage cheese
2 c. grated cheddar cheese
2 c. grated mozzarella cheese

Brown hamburger and onion. Drain. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, water, garlic salt, salt, pepper, sugar, and oregano. Simmer until meat sauce is thick. Cook lasagna noodles until tender in salted water (10 min). Rinse in cold water. Grease 9 x 13 pan. Put a layer of noodles in bottom, a layer of meat, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, and cheddar cheese. Repeat 2 more time (3 layers) ending with cheese on op. Bake at 375 for 30 min. and let sit for 30 min.

Note: When I have my own bottled tomatoes, I use 1 jar of tomatoes and delete the water.
(I have not tried this before.. it is from http://www.lovinfromtheoven.blogspot.com/)

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I only come up with about 4 recipes for the week. We always have leftovers to eat and it leaves us room for a pizza night or anything else that pops into our week.

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Yummy, you are making me hungry! Two of my friends and I get together every six weeks and cook all night and make freezer meals for the whole next month. It has helped so immensely with spending less time cooking, it is amazingly cheap, rarely going to the grocery store, etc. Everything we made has been pretty yummy to! It would be great to do when you transition to three kids! If you want the details on how it works let me know I would be glad to share! It is truly a lifesaver!!Oh and this blogging stuff is fun!

Giles Fam said...

I LOVE that you post recipes and dinner ideas. Seriously, THANK YOU! :)

Laurie said...

Great recipes. Even better to see an update. I can't believe you have less than 2 months. Hooray for a spring baby. Keep posting!

Bryn said...

Kristin... would love any idea you have!
Lauren... Thanks... I will try to keep that up... it helps me so that I can find them when I need them even when we are visiting family out of town.
Laurie... Good to hear from you. I can't belive it either.

-Laura- said...

Mmmm, yum! I've tried to be better about meal planning too. I HATE last minute runs to the grocery store! Thanks for the recipes!!!

Trey said...

Hey thanks for they shout out :)

-Trey

Giles Fam said...

Holy Cow! I can't believe how far along you are...and you look so good. I'm jealous! :)

Palmer family said...

Bryn,
I feel the same way! I HATE going grocery shopping and esp. taking kids attached at the hip. No thanks! I am like you...unless we're out of eggs AND milk, I hate to go shopping! On Monday morning, I sat down and planned on THREE weeks worth of meals. I made a list of the names of recipe and then a grocery store shopping list as well. Then I spent 2.5 hours grocery shopping to get it ALL! I think it will be nice. I think maybe the 3 wks was a little overboard...next time I will do 2 weeks and try and keep that going. It has been FABULOUS this week to have it all planned though. Now if I can just keep the kids and Trav out of the ingredients I need for my recipes..right?!! :) ha. Your recipes sound YUMMY. I want to try a few. Thanks for the post! We miss you guys!!!